Wine Pages

Mike Steinberger's Wine Diarist

Winophilia

Last Stop Before Portland

On April 15, while much of the country was preoccupied with taxes, I was more focused on wine. Not drinking wine (I only consumed beer that day), but TASTING wine. Not that I was doing any tasting either, mind you. April 15, 2008 marked my final trade portfolio tasting with Polaner Selections, where I have been overseeing events and marketing for the past few years.


My departure is bittersweet, as I have come to know and love the brilliant, talented team of individuals who make up the company. I came to Polaner with a quasi-professional wine resume (I had been teaching consumers and consulting since 1999), but with many years of experience in event planning and production. I was a fan of much of the portfolio, and, when the opportunity presented itself to become a professional advocate for these wines, I jumped. Over the last four years, my understanding of and appreciation for a wide range of wines and wine styles has developed, much of it thanks to the folks at Polaner.

Soon I start work at Triage Wines in the Pacific Northwest as the company’s Marketing Director. They work at a slightly different scale than I’ve been used to (see photo above), but I’m looking forward to the change (otherwise, why would I even consider a move from New York to Portland?). Fortunately, I’ll be in familiar territory, as much of the portfolios of Polaner and Triage overlap. I am looking forward to expanding my wine experiences in new directions as well… and developing new opportunities to teach and share my knowledge and skills with consumers and trade alike. Oregon, here I come.